Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:58:21 AM

Author Topic: SubTones Problem in S-50  (Read 35283 times)

Ricoche

• Inactive
    • View Profile
SubTones Problem in S-50
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »
Hi Miro,

This may be a problem exclusive to the Roland S-50, but I finally figured out my Subtone problem.  It seems SMFW30 creates spacer tones in all banks regardless if there is a WAV file there or not.  When I import 5 wavs for example, I notice that the remaining banks are filled with 0.0 and not --- tones.  This prevents me from creating subtones.  If I DELETE these "dummy" tones, I then notice that the entire Bank A and B are both deleted and not individual tones.  Thus it seems SMFW30 is creating spacer tones in all the empty banks.  I also notice that I cannot load individual tones from a newly created SMFW30 disk for some reason.

What I need to do to get subtone functionality back is the following with SMFW30.

1.  Import WAV files and create my S50 sound disk.

2.  Load ALL into the S-50.  ( Cannot load individual tones ).

3.  Save ALL back to either the same disk or a new one.  ( This allows me to now load individual tones ).

4.  Then load each tone one by one.

This will allow me to have pure 100% empty tones that don't have wavs.  After I create my patches and edit tones, I can then create subtones.

Just FYI.

Thanks,

Jim

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
Re: SubTones Problem in S-50
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »
Hi Jim,

most likely it will be S-50 specific problem. S-50 has a gap between tones, this space is reserved for his own data. So SMFW30 leaves these untouched (zeroed) this could cause an dummy tones. Anyway could you maybe make for me a test diskimage from S-50 containing test data. This would take some work on your side but it would allow me reverse engineer the data structure. I need a you to create tone with every parameter containing another number, so there will be not two same values. Then take photos of display so I can see which values are mapped to what labels. This would help me tremendously. As I have stated before I do not own S-50 so cannot test directly, so I am glad for your input. I will check this asap. By the way did you noticed my last reply about CD Editor? (http://smfw30.svetlik.be/forum/index.php/topic,171.15.html) I have prepared a beta of new feature for you to test.

regards

Miro

Ricoche

• Inactive
    • View Profile
Re: SubTones Problem in S-50
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Hi Miro,

This makes perfect sense.  In fact I'm starting to understand that the Roland S-50 is quite a "unique" sampler altogether.  It's quite quirky on how it handles samples and importing, but when I finally get the samples in, the sound is simply brilliant!!  With your beta CD Editor, I can now get the Universe of Sounds into the S-50 using either floppies or the HxC Emulator so everything works fantastic now. 

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can put together some test images for you.  It's not urgent since I can import now using other methods just fine, but I'll send them anyway in case you are interested.

Thank you very much!!!

Jim