Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 02:54:51 AM

Author Topic: "Unknown MIDI event found"  (Read 68431 times)

pgcd

• View Profile
"Unknown MIDI event found"
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »
I've just tried using SMFW30 again after a long break, and it's constantly improving (and I registered to show my support and appreciation!); there is one bug/issue that I'd really like to see fixed, though. Sometimes, oif I try to save as MIDI one of my songs I receive an "Unknown MIDI event found. Stopping the conversion!" error - do you think you could give us the chance to ignore the event and continue, instead? I am pretty sure most of these errors are due to stuff I could do without, so I wouldn't mind losing one event if that meant recovering the song...

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
Re: "Unknown MIDI event found"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
have you used the last (1.8.0.0) version of the MIDI editor? Secondly can you send me the disk image with song in question. Also there is logging built in the SMFW30. You can switch it on in MIDI Editor by going to menu File > Preferences, tab Conversion and checking the checkbox on the bottom of dialog (Log conversion progress). Then try to export song once more and there will be file named ConversionLog-Song2MIDI.txt in the installation directory of SMFW30. Send me the log.

best regards and thanks for your appreciation (and registration)

pgcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
I'm using 1.8.0.0 and I've sent you the log and DI, thanks for your help!

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
Hi Paolo,

problems you are encountering are caused by damaged FAT system on the floppy you have copied. So basically on the end of the song a block couldn't be copied and SMFW30 has replaced it by zeroes. Of course my MIDI conversion logic doesn't take this situation in account and that is why you get an error. Musical event is expected and instead he gets an zero. I will implement a warning dialog with possibility to skip empty or unrecognized place until some sensible data are encountered. Though produced MIDI's will contain some malformed events which you then need to clean in the MIDI editor of your choice.

best regards

Miro

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Ok so I am back with an update :). Skipping of unknown events is implemented but I have also found a new type event in your song. I will have to load it in my W30 to see what is it exactly so I can add this event. Expect an MIDI Editor update this weekend.

regards and have fun  ;D

pgcd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
Hi Miro,
I've been offline for a while due to a faulty computer so I didn't get the chance to test the update earlier; today I finally managed to try it on that song, but the error is still there... I ran the updater and apparently received a new MIDI Editor but I still cannot save that song - so I guess the update hasn't been published yet?

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
Hi Paolo,

sorry I did not put out this update yet publicly because I just cannot seem to find what for the meaning this unknown event has. In W30 micro editor it is invisible so I don't know what it is. Anyway I will put out the update as is so you can proceed with your conversions.

best regards

Miro