Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 12:24:40 PM

Author Topic: sounds grand piano  (Read 62408 times)

knovos

• View Profile
sounds grand piano
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »
Hello to you all just arrived new here. Bought an old W30 a view weeks ago and busy collecting sounds. Because the large amount of sounds available it is hard to find what I want. I am searching for a good quality sound of a grand piano. Is there anybody here who can point me to a great file.

For any new users I want to say I, with the version of SMFW30 this moment available, don't use Windows 7 premium with an usb-floppydisk station, it does not work.  I tried to use the usb-floppydisk station with windows XP, no results. You have to use a computer with windows XP and an old build in floppy-disk station which is connected inside the computer directly to the motherboard.

regards,

Leon.

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
Re: sounds grand piano
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Hi Leon,

once more congratulations to your recent purchase ;D. New version of SMFW30 I am preparing now will be compatible with Windows 7, but with floppies trick lies more in the hardware as software as you have found out yourself. I am always formatting floppy on my W30 first and then using SMFW30 to write on it. There is very few good piano disks for W30 and it is mainly due 30kHz sampling limit and small memory which is causing higher piano tones to sound cheesy  :-X. I had my take on quality piano for W30 several times but results were never pleasing. It is much easier to create nice analog synths or even Hammond B3 or Fender Rhodes are possible. Eventually I can try to make something useful by downsampling from some nice softsynth ala: http://www.pianoteq.com.

Anyway to stop my rumbling, I will present some links  ::).

SMFW30 Demo Set - /download/smfw30set.zip

These sets are not made by me so if there is any respective owners and want to have his set removed please contact me.
/download/sdk/Acpnogam.zip
/download/sdk/GPIANO3.ZIP
/download/sdk/GPIANO32.ZIP
/download/sdk/K2PIANO.ZIP
/download/sdk/PIANO.ZIP
/download/sdk/PIANO1.ZIP
/download/sdk/PIANO2.ZIP
/download/sdk/PIANORCK.ZIP

and thats all folks  :D

knovos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
Thank you for all the links Miro. The grand piano on the smfw30set is the best we can get for the W30 I think. The W30 has no reverb or other effects. That is what I miss in all the piano sounds. When I make a recording on my pc with a little reverb adding to it, the sound comes a lot more closer to what a piano sound should be. Working with layers will make some more depth, have to study on that. Look afford to the next version of smfw30. Seems like we can make a few floppy's with the patch editor with our most favorite sounds instead of constantly changing floppy's.

regards,

Leon

Ricoche

• Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Just FYI and something to check out.  I've been using Extreme Sample Converter to rip sounds from Vsti and sample CDs very effectively.  http://www.extranslator.com/  As long as you keep the sample time down and loop accordingly it works great on the W30.  It opens up a whole new world and it can allow you to explore more synth and piano based samples.  It's pretty easy too.

Jim

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »
Hey Jim,

cool find. I am gonna try it. I was even planning to make SoundFont to W30 conversion myself. So it is great I dont have to  ;D.

cheers

Miro

knovos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. As a new user of the W30 I discovered how to use it as a master keyboard attached to a PC. I both a cheap midi to usb set something like this

The software that I use is Studio FL 9. This software contains also asio software so there is no latency anymore. The software-instruments have a very good quality, the grand piano is better than the best W30 versions that I downloaded. What I see here is that in 23 years the hardware is completely overruled by this software development. A new world is open now for sure Jim.

regards,

Leon. 

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »
Hi Leon,

I was considering to buy such an interface because my e-mu 1820 gave it up :(. Are there drivers for 64 bit Windows for this interface?

regards

Miro

knovos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
I have a 64bit PC with windows 7 home premium. It was just plug in and go, no drivers needed. Windows recognized this set as a standard USB midi port. I start the W30 with system 1.10 and took keyboard channel two. For some instruments you have to change the octave settings. It is all visible in the software (studio9) what you can do. This software is loaded with many other features.

good luck,

Leon.

Ricoche

• Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 12:25:32 AM »
Personally, I don't think the Roland W30 can ever match a very good Piano sound from the latest keyboards like the Yamaha XF or other brands.  Nor can it really match some of the best software out there.  I think using the W30 as a midi controller in that respect is a wise move, although I would probably get one of the newer controllers that have more features.  My Roland A33 works well for an older controller simply because it has 73+ keys on it. 

Furthermore, I have yet to really find a low enough latency solution that allows me to play the piano as expressively as I need to.  No matter what I do, I always get lag in some way or another with computer software.  I am a heavy piano player and I just can't seem to get past latency issues on Windows computers.  I have yet to try an Apple Mac, so maybe that is better.  Latency is the real killer for me with regards to software.  If I did dance music, perhaps I would think different.

What interests me about the W30 is the Lo-Fi unique sound and filters it employs.  I tend to play samples and sounds that cater to the strengths of the W30.  Pianos and Real instruments are not the Roland W30's forte.  It's great for some unique synthetic piano stuff, but I much prefer using the W30 to create sounds and play samples that are more synthpop, dance, RnB, HipHop, SFX, or Vocal oriented. 

To me, the greatest thing about the Roland W30 is how easy it is to map different sounds across the keyboard.  It's also very easy to load pitched samples across the keyboard.  The Roland W30 is a "single layer" ( two is tricky ) piece of electronic mastery.  It's pretty sweet and very powerful.

I may be old school, but physically jamming on a Keyboard Workstation is still the way to go.  Indeed Software is the future perhaps.

Great topic.

Jim