Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 03:03:31 PM

Author Topic: Getting two full banks 14.4 seconds on one floppy disk with SMFW30 Problem  (Read 34879 times)

Ricoche

• Inactive
    • View Profile
Hi there,

One of the problems I have always had with SMFW30 is that I can only load up 7.2 seconds worth of files no matter what the file size is.  I can load files in either Bank A or Bank B, but never more than 7.2 total seconds.  I thought this seemed reasonable since every disk image that was created by SMFW30 was 720KB.  However today, I was loading a bunch of W30 "commercial" files from floppy disks to my W-30 and notice that I was getting two full banks "A&B" of samples totaling 14.4 seconds from one DD floppy disk.  I thought "Huh" how can that be?  I got my calculator out and starting totaling all of the sample time on all my commercial W30 disks and sure enough they were fitting two full banks with a total of 14.4 seconds on one disk.  The disk image size was 720KB.

So with evidence that floppy disks can contain a total of 14.4 seconds or two full banks, I'm wondering why I can't get this to work with SMFW30.  I've tried many times in the past to fill up two banks within the editor but it always gives me disk full with any sample total exceeding 7.2 seconds.  I can't find any way to put 14.4 seconds on the floppy.

Does SMFW30 only really handle one bank of samples?  Only 7.2 seconds total?  If not, how can one get more than 7.2 seconds without getting a disk error message.

Thanks very much!!

Regards,

Jim Atwood

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
Re: Getting two full banks 14.4 seconds on one floppy disk with SMFW30 Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
Hi Jim,

nice found :). It's a bug  ::). When you import wave in the B bank it will exceed the disk image size of 720kb. I will have a look on this asap.

cheers

Miro

Ricoche

• Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
Wow!  Thanks Miro. 

It's funny.  I was using the software thinking that is was suppose to be like that, but when I saw the other commercial disks had two full banks I began scratching my head...laugh.  I'm glad it's a bug and not a limitation of the Roland W-30.  Hopefully in due time you can have a look and see if it can be fixed.  Have a great weekend!

Jim

miro

• Administrator
  • Eternal Tinkerer
    • View Profile
    • smfw30.svetlik.be
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:28:16 PM »
Hi Jim,

this should be actually working correct in SMFW30 v1.0 for Windows and it is definitely NOT a limitation of Roland W30 :). Give it a try.

nice weekend (or a beginning of a week to you too)

Miro